Tuesday 18 January 2011

MV Bill - O Bagulho É Doido

This one absolutely breaks my heart. MV Bill is a hero-advocate for all the kids in Brazil trapped in the drug trade. Show this to your local coke-heads. The clips with the kids faces blurred out are from his incredible documentary about the reality of growing up, marginalised, demonised and poor, in the favelas.

My Portuguese isn't up to much, but basically the song is about the injustice of a system where rich addicts are treated as the victims, and the kids from the favelas who grew up with no options other than drug-dealing are treated as delinquents. The lyrics are brutally hard-hitting, and the song's got an incredible soundscape to back it up.

The production values on the video aren't up to much, but it still brings tears to my eyes. The quotes from the kids that are sampled in the song are devastating:

"Se eu morrer... nasci outro que nem eu ou pior, ou melhor..."
If I die... another one like me will be born, who is worse, or better...

"Se eu morrer eu vou descansar..."
If I die I will rest at least...

"Ah, sonhar! Nessa vida não dá pra sonhar não..."
Oh, to dream! This life doesn't give anything for dreams...

"Amanhã não sei nem se eu vou tá aí"
I don't even know if I'll be here tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment