Sunday 20 February 2011

Tanya Stephens - These Streets

This is a nice acoustic burner from Tanya Stephens - not a conventional voice, but an addictive one.

It's a metaphor-strewn rejection of gangsterism, with some of the most brilliantly filthy lyrics: "I wish you woulda treat me like ya glock//I woulda love it if you keep me on cock//I wish you woulda treat me like ya yacht//keep me wet while the waves them a rock".

Released in 2006, it's a challenge to all crack-selling rap boasts, and it evidently resounded with people all over the Caribbean, where her album sold out on release



(Incidentally, that 50 Cent track is actually pretty good - got a kinda funky bassline going on and a gorgeous female vocal, and Fiddy's straight-up 4-line verses do pack a punch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment