Sunday 27 February 2011

Big Pun ft Joe - Still Not A Player

Sometimes I wish my life was a musical. Not because I have any particular fondness for chorus lines or hairspray (pun intended*), but just because I think it would be amazing if sometimes conversations were underscored by pop songs expressing the salient points.

This song, in particular, popped into my head as a banker was explaining his dating philosophy to me. I think the evening would have been much improved by a little bit of late-90's tongue-in-cheek slut-rap.

This is the finest work of Puerto Rico's first international superstar, and was one of the songs that filtered back to the island and kick-started the nascent reggaetón industry. Also probably one of the first international hits to have "boricua, morena" as its refrain.



* Seriously, did you think I could get through a piece about someone called "Big Pun" without making a pun? If so, you massively overestimate me. (Yeah, I know it's short for "Punisher"... don't spoil my fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment