Sunday 15 May 2011

Santana - Maria Maria

Most songs sound terrible after 12 years: they're not new enough to sound fresh or old enough to sound classic. Not so for this.

This is probably the song which, in 1999, as I danced around the living room, kick-started my love affair with a continent on the other side of the world, and sparked my interest in a language that my family forgot how to speak two generations ago. It's an ode to women and to hope, and features one of the most talented guitarists of our time.

What more could you want for a Sunday night? The video's hot stuff too, and the song's success has inspired the launch of a chain of restaurants called - you guessed it - Maria Maria. I honestly couldn't make this shiz up.

The blokes on vocals are the Product G&B, who had an abortive career, despite releasing this slutty little banger - I love the stuttering chorus, but it's pretty unremarkable. Stick with Santana.

No comments:

Post a Comment