Tuesday 10 May 2011

O.C. - Born 2 Live

I should have remembered that 90's hip-hop will always sound good to me: it's like freewheeling down memory lane. (Oasis also have a house thereabouts, as do the Spice Girls. Nostalgia is not a matter of taste.)

This is a meditative track from the Brooklyn underground (and yes, it sounds like Nas circa Illmatic. How could that be a bad thing?).

I like to think that Talib and Jay grew up listening to O.C.



The delicious sample is off this lush little funky number by Keni Burke, called Rising to the Top. Love it.



Broke (of whom I am a massive fan), did a tidy little remix of this on his downloadable mixtape The Murder Tape - it's called "I was 3 in 1994". I was eight personally, but I like to think that means that Mr Broke would have looked up to me. At least height-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment