Tuesday 13 September 2011

Alejandro Sanz ft. Getto - No Es Lo Mismo (Chosen Few Remix)

Cut to the chase on this one - get straight to the good stuff at 0:47.

This is based on a fairly meditative love song by a Spanish singer-songwriter. Boy Wonder, a Puerto Rican producer sped it up and juiced it with a reggaeton beat. The result is a poetic party piece.



The lyrics are phenomenal: "no es lo mismo ser que estar". They're hard to translate because they take advantage of the fact that Spanish has two verbs meaning "to be" - ser means "to be, permanently", and estar means "to be, temporarily".

For example: soy [ser] inglesa y estoy [estar] en my casa means "I am [ser] English and I am [estar] in my house" - I am always English, and I am in my house right now, temporarily

The first line of the song is simply: "it's not the same to be [ser] as to be [estar]" - transient facts [described using estar] about where we are, how we feel, how we look do not define who we are as people [which is described using ser].

There you go, reggaeton and grammar: grammar-ton? I don't think it's going to catch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment