Wednesday 15 June 2011

Aventura - Por Un Segundo

I'm on a schmaltzy tip tonight. This is a stunner though. It's a bachata from Aventura, the undisputed champions of the genre, who have spearheaded the bachata invasion in the USA. Bachata is a Dominican folk dance which is now danced wherever people speak Spanish.

A nice boy in Cuba explained its appeal. Merengue, he said, is so easy that you can do it while you talk to a girl, and get to know her. Salsa is tricky, lots of footwork, and is pretty much like flirting with her. And bachata, well, that's just sex. It's danced pegao, there are 3 steps and a swivel, and the hips are pretty much all that move.

This is one of my favourite videos because of the Spanglish intro, and the tune. I hummed this for about a month before I finally got it on CD. The premise is that he's singing to his beloved ex, who's about to marry, and the lyrics are beautifully bitter: "And now for a second, I drown in the sea of reality. For a second I accept my defeat, I truly lost you"

No comments:

Post a Comment