Monday 21 March 2011

DJ Zinc & Benga ft. Sweetie Irie - Number One

This will absolutely murk your Monday blues: I'm boncing around on an office chair in the library writing this. It's a sort of mucky bassline dancehall fusion - nothing classy, but it makes you smile and dance. And it sounds freshish.

I've loved dancehall (in a shy sort of way) for a long time, and bassline won my affections with Ghetts' Mountain.

I should give credit to Uproot Andy (the man behind that genius Los Rakas remix) for drawing my attention to this little gem: it's on his fab podcast for XLR8R. To be brutally honest, it took me a few listen to get into his mix: it's not all as full-frontally sexy as that Los Rakas track. But give it some time and a few runs through and I promise you'll start to enjoy the switches from dancehall to bachata via cumbia. Mr Uproot himself has a really interesting take on Latin beats and musical globalism: there's an ace interview here

No comments:

Post a Comment