Thursday 7 April 2011

Mos Def - Can You See The Light

The other day, someone said to me that they only like hip-hop from the Golden Age. Sigh. Why should anything produced after 1997 be inherently inferior? I refuse to believe that we're living in some kind of hip-hop Dark Ages in which there is only rape (Horrorcore), pillage (Gangsta) and sanctimony (Backpack rap). There's more than that.

That said, a little throw-back to boom-bap does sound really good, especially on a sunny afternoon. That delicious instrumental is the work of DJ Krush - Japan's first hip-hop DJ, with a life story that would make gangsters squirm. Mos Def goes suitably old-school on the vocal - chanted, simple, rhythmic, shout-outs. This is one to bump in your car. Or in my case, on my bicycle. I really need to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment